So you have landed a job interview and wondering what you should do to succeed in the interview. Don’t stress out! It is natural for one to get the jitters before an interview, especially when we want to bag the job. Here are a few tips to help you succeed in the interview and convince the interviewer that you are a good fit for the job.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK
- Research the company
- Analyze the role
- Understand how your skills, education and/or past experience will add value to the job
- Prepare answers to common job interview questions
CARRY ALL RELEVANT DOCUMENTS
- Location and Contact Information
- Copies of your Resume
- Reference list
- Note pad and Pen
- List of Questions to ask your interviewer
- Any other document(s) or ID requested by the employer
MAKE A GOOD FIRST IMPRESSION
- Plan to arrive 10-15 mins before interview
- Dress appropriately
- Greet your interviewer with a smile and firm handshake (NOT a bone crusher handshake)
DURING THE INTERVIEW, MAKE SURE YOU
- Listen to the questions carefully so you can respond in a clear and concise manner.
- Be confident. Make sure to breathe and pause between sentences when you speak.
- Sell yourself: Talk about your strengths, skills and/or achievements that would help you add value to the job. To get extra credit, back it up with examples.
- Maintain a solid posture and make regular eye contact (don’t stare!) during the interview.
- Ask questions. It is not only the employer selecting you but also you choosing a job that best suits you.